SXSW decided to cancel a panel on harassment in video game culture because speakers on the panel received too many threats of violence against them. People are criticizing this cancellation, saying it ‘s allowing harassers and bullies to win and defeats the purpose of the panel in the first place.
Here are other real panels being offered by SXSW and what will likely be the reason they are cancelled before the event in March.
- After The Parties – Sober Meet Up: Unfortunately cancelled due to people threatening to bring beer.
- Making Your Web Content Sound Spectacular: This event will no longer take place due to poor audio equipment and stolen microphones.
- Hot Young Chefs!: We are bumping this event because of the ambush of ugly old chefs who suddenly took to the kitchens.
- Smart Ad Campaigns: It ‘s Not About The Product: Upon promoting this event, products became sentient and told us smart ad campaigns actually are about them.
- Getting in with Asia ‘s It Girls & Power Moms: Doofy Dads and Unpopular Girls have unfortunately shut down this event. We are sorry for any interruptions this may cause.
- Lean Out: Sheryl Sandberg is planning on sabotaging this panel. In anticipation of that, we are taking extra precautions and canceling it.
- Robots: Man ‘s Best Friend: A pack of wild dogs have found out about this panel and plan to circle the building like vultures until men admit robots are not truly their best friends.
- #BlackLivesMatter: New Solutions to Old Problems: A lone objector poised the question, do you mean #AllLivesMatter? We are postponing the panel to debate this.