By: Funny Or Die
Article by Darren Miller & Kat Curtis
CALL & RESPONSE: How to Deal (Trauma? Anger? Moving Forward? Organizing?)
On today ‘s show: How to deal with trauma and anger evoked by our current times. We ‘ll also discuss what we can do to move forward and organize. Featuring Chanelle Benz (Author, The Gone Dead) and Demi Adejuyigbe (Comedian and Writer). Hosted by Baron Vaughn and Open Mike Eagle.
Watch the full episode:
In this episode of ‘Call & Response, we covered:
- Thoughts on J. Cole ‘s new track (Baron Vaughn & Open Mike Eagle)
- The history of Black trauma (Baron Vaughn & Open Mike Eagle)
- The impact of internalizing Blackness as “undesirable ‘ and “not the default normal ‘ (Chanelle Benz)
- The importance of finding Black icons when you don ‘t see yourself represented (Chanelle Benz)
- The history of injustice & why we hesitate to fight for justice (Chanelle Benz)
- Why racism is about systems throughout history & not just being nice or mean (Chanelle Benz)
- How Civil Rights era cold cases shaped Chanelle Benz ‘s novel, “The Gone Dead ‘
- How trauma affects places and physical spaces (Chanelle Benz)
- How understanding uncensored Black history and storytelling helps people work through trauma (Chanelle Benz)
- Pushing through self-doubt when you ‘ve been oppressed (Chanelle Benz)
- Sarah Jones ‘ work & the pressure to fit into other people ‘s expectations of Blackness & compartmentalization (Chanelle Benz)
- Creating art, dealing with internet trolls, when to disengage & the importance of being open with politics (Demi Adejuyigbe)
- How to create with balance between your voice and influence from your surroundings (Demi Adejuyigbe)
- The importance of finding (and following) Black artists that inspire you (Demi Adejuyigbe)
HIGHLIGHTS FROM THE EPISODE
How Comedian Demi Adejuyigbe Approaches Bad Faith Arguments On The Internet
Chanelle Benz Speaks About “Fitting Into ‘ Expectations Of Blackness
Demi Adejuyigbe On Collaboration VS Control Over His Work
RECOMMENDED ORGANIZATIONS & ARTISTS FROM OUR GUESTS
- Sarah Jones
- Amber Grey
- Zack Fox
- Melaninand Mental Health
- The Gone Dead: A Novel by Chanelle Benz
- Black Reconstruction by W. E. B. Du Bois (Book)
About Today ‘s Guests:
Author, The Gone Dead
Comedian and Writer
ABOUT THE SHOW
Call & Response ‘is a new show designed to respond to the changes and activism of our time. Each day, Baron Vaughn and Open Mike Eagle invite their favorite Black creators ‘ activists, comedians, musicians, actors, visual artists, and more ‘ to riff on current events, discuss the present momentum, and speak about their work and struggles.
Funny Or Die has partnered with Blavity Inc. to create this show with the intention of responding to our time through discourse and laughter.
Last year, Funny Or Die partnered with creators Baron Vaughn and Open Mike Eagle to produce the Comedy Central TV show The New Negroes. The show ‘s mission was to highlight, promote, and amplify talented Black voices ‘ both new and established ‘ in comedy, hip-hop, and culture.
The show is live-streamed on Funny Or Die ‘s and Blavity ‘s channels on YouTube, Twitter, Facebook, and Twitch everyday at 12PM PT/3 PM ET.